Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Compassion v. Practicality

I know few public defenders that took the position just because of the money, or because it was something to do. Most, if not all, either enjoy the work, or have some degree of compassion or youthful idealism that makes even Sean Penn want to puke up that pizza he ordered in the middle of class. (Lest we forget that he was Spicoli.)

Ok, so I know this post looks like it's veering in to self-congratulatory pandering, but it's not.

All glorified social workers (which is essentially what I am), have a breaking point.

For some, it's representing someone you know is guilty, getting them sprung, only to see the same crime committed. For others, it's just the knowledge of a losing battle.

For me, it's this tweaker asshole that has currently been parked outside in our parking lot for the past 16 or so hours. It started yesterday afternoon, when I came back and saw a disheveled, scraggly, man wearing waders and a coat that I assume at some point did not smell like meth and day old cigarette butts. He was working on his car. And when I say working, I mean, hood open, and randomly pulling shit out of the engine. Shit that looked serious.

I let it go on for a while. Exchanged pleasantries. He called me "counselor," and in his little tweaker way, I thought it was kinda cute.

But it kept going until closing time.... So I go outside. "Hey," I call, "so is it not starting or anything." I thought the hint was there. "No, counselor, it's just the light." The light. The light?! Are you fucking kidding me?! So I leave, and my parting words are, verbatim, "Hey, you should just take it to a mechanic. They should be able to take care of it. You're not allowed to park here if you don't have an appointment, unfortunately." He meths back, "Loud and clear Counselor!"

Fast forward to this morning. Same fucking jalopy. Straddling two parking spots. Tweaker, wrapped like a mummy, in a leopard print fleece, sleeping in the driver's seat. As of thirty minutes ago, I have woken him up, and let him know that I will be towing said vehicle if it's not gone in 30 minutes.

Ideals be damned, parking is sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment